Thursday, June 10, 2010

Preparation...

Well, here's my first post of my blog for Ecuador.  I leave in 4 days and I will be so relieved because everything I've been preparing for will be done.  I have had so many doctor's appointments, filled out so much paperwork, bought lots of stuff to take with me, and packed it all to fit in my bags.  I've put my packing list below, just in case you're interested!


Sleeping bag
2 sheets, 2 pillowcases
2 towels
5 books
Ecuador travel book
photo album
Colorado postcards, peanut butter, chocolate chips (gifts for host family)
Journal
paper and envelopes
7 pairs of shoes
cardigan
2 hoodies
raincoat
fleece jacket
2 other lightweight jackets
2 dresses
3 pairs of jeans
3 other pairs of pants
3 skirts
2 shorts
2 capris
9 T-shirts
4 long sleeve shirts
6 tank tops
20 pairs of underwear
20 pairs of socks
6 bras
winter hat
mittens
surge protector
solar charger
laptop
camera
iPod
flash drive
headlamp
deck of cards, Uno, Apples to Apples
toiletries - including 8 toothbrushes and 5 deodorants!
markers
scissors
duct tape
Nalgene
sewing kit
ziploc bags
pocket knife
sunscreen

Think that's about it...

So I leave Denver on Monday evening, have a orientation session in Washington DC for an afternoon, the leave for Ecuador on Wednesday morning.  The first few days we will spend in Quito, the capital, going through more orientation and training.  Then we will all travel to Cayambe, a town a little north of Quito, where will we stay for the rest of training.  We will all live with host families in communities surrounding Cayambe for the first 3 months.  Every day will consist of language training, as well as training in health and safety, culture, and technical training for our jobs.

I don't really know too many details about what happens next, or really even during the training.  I'm not really even able to have expectations which could be a good thing because no matter what happens I won't be dissapointed!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you and your luggage arrived safely in Quito. Te amo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can update us soon. Enjoy your host family, learn lots during training! Congratulations again! Very proud of YOU!

    ReplyDelete